Leave It Training!
Teach your puppy to stay away from an object.
1. Get your clicker and some highly reinforcing treats that your puppy LOVES as well as some other treats that are not as interesting to your pup.
2. Hold your hand open with the not so interesting treats, if he approaches or sniffs fold up your hand quickly so he cannot get the treats. Ignore any interest in your hand and the treats. When your pup backs away or even turns slightly away click/treat that and give him one of the SUPER treats from your other hand.
3. Repeat this until your puppy is not approaching the treats at all.
4. Now you may add the cue words Leave It. As you open your hand and show your pup the treats (knowing that he won’t try to take them) say the cue words Leave It. Click/Treat lavishly for the correct response.
5. Now you will be able to transfer this to object your puppy or dog should NOT have. Practice this in many different situations with different objects. When the pup does not approach the object you want them to “leave” then you will click and give them a treat.
Constance Dwyer, CABC
Certified Animal Behavior Consultant
copyright 2013 - Constance Dwyer - all rights reserved